Student facilities Student Life

Practical information about the student life in the master universities

Student Facilities

The welcome and the hosting of students in each university is a priority of the EM3E-4SW team. The student life committee is in charge of helping students in each university and to improve the facilities offered. You will find below the main facilities at the universities belonging to the EM3E-4SW consortium :

Université de Montpellier  
Université Toulouse 3 Paul Sabatier

The service of International Relations at the University of Toulouse has rooms in student residences and contacts to facilitate the search for housing in private homes.

The service of International Relations and the foreign students service organize an annual luncheon buffet reception for convention or exchange program students and two evening parties for all foreign students newly enrolled in the university.

The Federal University of Toulouse (Université Fédérale Toulouse Midi-Pyrenees) is also involved in hosting foreign students: assistance in finding housing, bilingual aperitifs, evening parties, three weekends per year to discover the region, a free tour of the city and a cruise on the Garonne. The university network proposes to bring together students and families of Toulouse for meals and excursions.

The division of Student Life has developed services and is endowed with software and hardware to assist the integration of students with disabilities (motoric disabilities, hearing or visual deficiencies). The University is accessible to disabled people in wheelchairs.

Specialised educational actions for foreign students organize a welcoming tutorial in which advanced local students, teachers and administrative staff participate.

The Department of French foreign language teaching proposes French classes and adaptation to French academic work classes during the academic year and during the summer. The departments of foreign languages provide instruction for non-specialists mainly in eight languages.
Top of the page.

University of Chemistry and Technology Prague
Top of the page.
Universidade Nova de Lisboa 
Top of the page.
Universidad de Zaragoza

Once in Zaragoza, the University has specific support staff to help students with residence permit procedures. The UZ owns four residence halls, works with other 6 private residence halls and has an “Accommodation Support Service” for students who want private accommodation. The International Relations Office will also support EM students in this matter. They will book rooms and give other kinds of support if necessary. Alll registered students can enjoy: 

  • Sport services: The principal objective of the Sports Activities Service is to facilitate the practice of sports and physical activities among the members of the university community, to contribute to their personal education and improve their quality of life. To do so it organises a variety of activities and services in different areas: sponsorship, competitions and natural environments; and facilitates the development of activities organised by the sports committees of the university’s institutions. On the university campus there is a complete sports complex with a gym, indoor and outdoor courts for basket ball and five-a-side football, an athletics track, a volley ball court, football pitch, etc. Furthermore, teams may be formed to take part in intramural leagues in some of these sports.Other sports are also available with a monitor, for example, taekwondo, aerobics, jazz, dancing, tai-chi...To take part, you only need to become a member of the sports club, (´Servicio de Actividades Deportivas´ or ´SAD`), and sing up for the activities chosen.
  • There are computers that can be used by all registered students. All registered students get an email account and access to all WiFi areas within the university, which typically include libraries, study areas and most classrooms.
  • Access to laboratories is granted to all registered students.
  • Cultural services and clubs.
  • Information and support services.

University of Twente 

Usefull links



All EM3E-4SW students coming from non-European countries need to have a visa to start their studies in Europe.

Once a student is admitted to the Erasmus Mundus Master course, he/she should start the procedures to obtain the necessary visa in his/her home country in the embassy/consulate of France (first semester country). It may be better if your passport is valid for at least 2-3 years before you start the Erasmus Mundus Master EM3E-4SW programme to avoid problems with receiving passport while you study and with lack of pages in your passport if you already had a lot of visas in.

Visa issues demand much time and attention. Sometimes if might take up to 3 months. For a more effective result, please start with the visa paperwork as soon as possible; be very concentrated when you prepare the documents for visas and residence permits applications. Pay attention to small details, such as photos format or amount of passport pages to be copied; double-check all your forms and the data you fill-in. Always keep copies of originals (it’s a good idea to have them in a digital form, too) when submitting applications for your own administration, since sometimes consulates do not return any documents (make sure you make several copies of the Erasmus Mundus Master course admission proof, of the official scholarship confirmation letter from the European Commission, of the insurance policy statement and the insurance card, etc.).

How obtain the VISA for France?

The international office of the University of Montpellier (first semester university) will advise on how to obtain the French visa. Documents confirming admission to the Erasmus Mundus Master course, a certificate confirming the scholarship and other documents will be provided by the course coordinator. The visa should be asked at the Embassy or Consulate of France in your country (check the list of France’s embassies and consulates abroad). You have to apply for an extended-stay student visa, with residency permit (known as the VLS-TS), marked "student" (see more information on VLS-TS). Holders of the VLS-TS need not make a separate application for a residency permit once they arrive in France. This visa also serves as a residency permit for the duration of its validity, provided it is certified by the OFII (Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration). To have your visa certified for this purpose, contact OFII at http://www.ofii.fr as soon as you arrive in France.

How obtain the VISA for the other countries (Czech Republic, and Spain or Portugal or The Netherlands)?

Students will also need a new visa when they move to their second country (Czech Republic) and third countries (Spain or Portugal or The Netherlands). The International Relations Office of the coordinating University (UM, France) and the hosting universities will facilitate formalities on how obtain visa. Click on each country for seeing the specific formalities for obtaining the VISA: Czech Republic. Spain. Portugal. The Netherlands.



All EM3E-4SW students are automatically covered by an insurance schema selected by the EM3E-4SW Consortium. The costs are included in the participation costs of the Master.

The insurance schema covers against risks related to health, accidents, death, permanent invalidity and civil responsibility.

Cover takes effect two months prior to the start of the EM3E-4SW master course and valid until two months after the end of the course and is valid for worldwide. Student will get his/her personal card during the integration week.



The International Office of each university proposes accommodation in university or in housing residences.

France:  Rental for one university room 150-250 €/month. Food expenses 250 €/month.

Czech Republic: Rental for a room 120 €/month. Food expenses 175 €/month.

Portugal: Rental for a room 250-300€/month. Food expenses: 175 €/month.

Spain: Housing rental: 200-300 €/month. Food expenses: 175 €/month.

The Netherlands: Housing 350 €/month. Food expenses 175 €/month (for more information click here).



You can also visit the following web sites to have more information on the administrative steps required on the way to proceed efficiently to take these steps.

  1. The Erasmus Mundus guide student handbook will give to the students an idea of the administrative steps necessarry to take in order to follow an Erasmus Mundus master.
  2. For information on the Erasmus Mundus experience from present and past stduents, visit the Erasmus Mundus Students and Alumni Association (EMA) website.


Student association


The student information guide 

Here is the address of Alumni Association : http://www.em-a.eu/



The European Membrane House and the European Membrane Society support the creation of the Master EM3E-4SW.