All EM3E-4SW students coming from non-European countries need to have a visa to start their studies in Europe.

Once a student is admitted to the Erasmus Mundus Master course, he/she should start the procedures to obtain the necessary visa in his/her home country in the embassy/consulate of France (first semester country). It may be better if your passport is valid for at least 2-3 years before you start the Erasmus Mundus Master EM3E-4SW programme to avoid problems with receiving passport while you study and with lack of pages in your passport if you already had a lot of visas in.

Visa issues demand much time and attention. Sometimes if might take up to 3 months. For a more effective result, please start with the visa paperwork as soon as possible; be very concentrated when you prepare the documents for visas and residence permits applications. Pay attention to small details, such as photos format or amount of passport pages to be copied; double-check all your forms and the data you fill-in. Always keep copies of originals (it’s a good idea to have them in a digital form, too) when submitting applications for your own administration, since sometimes consulates do not return any documents (make sure you make several copies of the Erasmus Mundus Master course admission proof, of the official scholarship confirmation letter from the European Commission, of the insurance policy statement and the insurance card, etc.).

How obtain the VISA for France?

The international office of the University of Montpellier (first semester university) will advise on how to obtain the French visa. Documents confirming admission to the Erasmus Mundus Master course, a certificate confirming the scholarship and other documents will be provided by the course coordinator. The visa should be asked at the Embassy or Consulate of France in your country (check the list of France’s embassies and consulates abroad). You have to apply for an extended-stay student visa, with residency permit (known as the VLS-TS), marked "student" (see more information on VLS-TS). Holders of the VLS-TS need not make a separate application for a residency permit once they arrive in France. This visa also serves as a residency permit for the duration of its validity, provided it is certified by the OFII (Office Français de l’Immigration et de l’Intégration). To have your visa certified for this purpose, contact OFII at http://www.ofii.fr as soon as you arrive in France.

How obtain the VISA for the other countries (Czech Republic, and Spain or Portugal or The Netherlands)?

Students will also need a new visa when they move to their second country (Czech Republic) and third countries (Spain or Portugal or The Netherlands). The International Relations Office of the coordinating University (UM, France) and the hosting universities will facilitate formalities on how obtain visa. Click on each country for seeing the specific formalities for obtaining the VISA: Czech Republic. Spain. Portugal. The Netherlands.



All EM3E-4SW students are automatically covered by an insurance schema selected by the EM3E-4SW Consortium. The costs are included in the participation costs of the Master.

The insurance schema covers against risks related to health, accidents, death, permanent invalidity and civil responsibility.

Cover takes effect two months prior to the start of the EM3E-4SW master course and valid until two months after the end of the course and is valid for worldwide. Student will get his/her personal card during the integration week.



The International Office of each university proposes accommodation in university or in housing residences.

France:  Rental for one university room 150-250 €/month. Food expenses 250 €/month.

Czech Republic: Rental for a room 120 €/month. Food expenses 175 €/month.

Portugal: Rental for a room 250-300€/month. Food expenses: 175 €/month.

Spain: Housing rental: 200-300 €/month. Food expenses: 175 €/month.

The Netherlands: Housing 350 €/month. Food expenses 175 €/month (for more information click here).



You can also visit the following web sites to have more information on the administrative steps required on the way to proceed efficiently to take these steps.

  1. The Erasmus Mundus guide student handbook will give to the students an idea of the administrative steps necessarry to take in order to follow an Erasmus Mundus master.
  2. For information on the Erasmus Mundus experience from present and past stduents, visit the Erasmus Mundus Students and Alumni Association (EMA) website.



The European Membrane House and the European Membrane Society support the creation of the Master EM3E-4SW.

You are here: Home Practicalities